About the School:
The YES project addresses SOCIAL and MINDSET CHANGE in Lavender Hill by ‘raising horizons’ for teenagers at Lavender Hill Secondary School. The mission of the YES school project is to turn Lavender Hill Secondary School into a safe, nurturing, positive and enabling haven for vulnerable youth caught in social ‘crossfire’. An alarming fact is that 43% of secondary school learners in this area drop out between grades 8 and 12. The aim of the YES project is to halt this slide. This is being accomplished by:
- Providing a positive attractive school environment
- Providing an alternative to social threats (afternoon classes, cultural options, skills, homework classes)
- Introducing leadership development, peer education, community outreach options
- Help improve the quality of education outcomes
- Create traditions, sense of belonging and restore dignity
- Create a safe environment at school in the afternoons in a suburb of social challenges
- Help young people make better life choices, filter these values into the community, bring about community social and mindset change.
This project is guided by the Lavender Hill Trust administered by Wynberg Rotary Club.
Brass band and sound system
Sporting equipment (punch bags and hurdles)
Roof for an assembly/multi-purpose hall